Reverend Dr. Solomon Tilewa Ethelbert Willie Johnson, born 27th February 1954 in Banjul, The Gambia, West Africa. Married with three children.
Wife – Priscilla | Daughter – Njilan | Son – Jeggan | Daughter – Dado
D. Min. in Applied Ministries (1997 – 2000), Graduate Theological Foundation – Donaldson, Indiana, USA
Certificate, Summer Programme in Theology – August 1997, Oxford University, England
B.A. (Hons) Theology (1982 – 1985), University of Durham, England
Diploma in Theology (1977 – 1980), Trinity College, Umahia, Nigeria
1990 Consecrated Bishop
1980 Ordained Priest
1979 Made Deacon
1990 To Present : Bishop of Gambia, Senegal, and Cape Verdes
1985 – 1990 : Incumbent, St. Mary’s Cathedral, Banjul
1982 – 1985 : Resident Priest-in-Charge,
Church of the African Martyrs, Farafenni, The Gambia
Chaplain, Anglican Training Centre, Farafenni, The Gambia
Visiting Priest, St. Peter’s Interdenominational Congregation, Dakar, Senegal
1977 – 1980 : Pastoral work – St. Michael’s Cathedral, Aba, Nigeria
1975 – 1977 : Teacher, Gambia High School, Banjul, The Gambia.
PROFESSIONAL ACTIVITIES NATIONALLY
- President, Synod of the Anglican Diocese of Gambia
- President, Diocesan School of Evangelism
- Executive Director, Anglican Mission Development Ministries (AMDM)
- President, Gambia Boys’ Brigade Council
- Chairman, Board of Governors, Rev. J. C. Faye Memorial School, Banjul
- Member, Diocesan Radio Ministry
- Chairman, Social Outreach and Development Sub-Committee, Gambia Christian Council
- Chaplain, Diocesan Mothers’ Union
- Honorary Chaplain, Missions to Seafarers
- Chairman, National Dialogue Team, Strategy for Poverty Alleviation
- Chairman, National Committee on Christianity, Population and Development
- Member, National Population Commission
- Member, National Consultative Council for Social and Economic Policy
- Member, Council of elders for Conflict Prevention and Management in the Economic Organisation of West African States (ECOWAS)
PROFESSIONAL ACTIVITIES INTERNATIONALLY
- Chairman, Continental Committee for Ministry to the Uprooted, All Africa Conference of Churches (AACC), Nairobi, Kenya
- Member, General Committee, AACC, Nairobi, Kenya
- Member, Executive Committee, AACC, Nairobi, Kenya
- Member, World Council of Churches (WCC) Faith and Order Plenary Commission
- Member, Global Ecumenical Network Forum (Advisory Body to the World Council of Churches Refugee and Migration Service)
- Member, International Ecumenical Consultative Committee for Refugees (IECCR)
- Vice President, Church Mission Society (CMS), London, UK
- Provincial Regional Coordinator, Decade of Evangelism
- Associate, Monastic Order of the Holy Cross
PAST PROFESSIONAL ACTIVITIES
- Vice Chair, CCM (Global Fund)
- Acting Metropolitan, (CPWA), Anglican Communion
- Dean, Church of the Province of West Africa (CPWA) Anglican Communion
- Chairman, the Gambia Christian Council
- Chairman, The Association of Non-Governmental Organisations (TANGO) of The Gambia
- Chairman, Independent Electoral Commission (IEC), Republic of The Gambia
- Vice Chairman, Provisional Independent Electoral Commission (PIEC), Republic of The Gambia
- Member, Commonwealth Observer Group to General and Regional Elections, Guyana, December 1997
- Chairman, Coordinating Committee for Liberian Refugees (CCLR), Banjul
- Vice Chairman, Commission on Humanitarian Affairs, International Council for Voluntary Agencies (ICVA)
- Member, (observer status), Executive Committee, ICVA
- Member, Donor / NGO Central Coordinating Committee, Ministry of Health, Republic of The Gambia
- Member, Reference Group to draft the World Council of Churches (WCC) Statement on “Uprooted People”
- Member, Inter-Faith / Inter-Church Sub-Committee, the Gambia Christian Council
- Member, Management Committee of The Gambia National Branch of the African Society of International and Comparative Law
- Member, Constitutional Review Commission, Republic of The Gambia
- First Chairman, The Gambia Public Works and Capacity Building Project (GAMWORKS)
- Member, Board of Directors, Gambia Youth for Christ
- Chairman, Commonwealth Liaison Unit, The Gambia
- Chairman, Evangelical Fellowship of The Gambia
SIGNIFICANT PUBLICATIONS AND PAPERS WRITTEN
- B.A. Thesis: “The Impact of African Communal Ritual on Modern Christian Missions 1821 – 1965”
- Doctoral Project: “A Bishop’s Manual for the Implementation of a Jointly Generated Vision for the Diocese of Gambia for the Decade Beginning the Year 2000”
- “An Epistle from the Churches in Africa to the Council of Churches for Britain and Ireland”. Address to the Council of Churches for Britain and Ireland Assembly. Swanwick England, February 1992.
- Address to the General Synod of the Church of England session – ‘Africa Today – Crisis and Opportunity’. London, England, November 1993.
- “Christian Relations with Islam: The Gambia”. Presentation to a Plenary Session of the 1998 Lambeth Conference. Canterbury, England, July 1998.
- “Building God’s Kingdom on Earth in the Age of Globalisation: Africa’s Challenge to the Church in U.S.A.”. Commencement Address at the Graduate Theological Foundation Indiana Graduation. Indiana USA, May 2000.
- “Bear Ye One Another’s Burdens”. Series of Five Meditations on St. Paul’s Letter to the Galatians, presented to the Partners-in-Mission Consultation and Provincial Synod, Church of the Province of West Africa. Accra, October 1997.
- “Batum Yalla – Word of God. The Centrality of Scripture in the Life of the Church”. October 1993.
- “The Root of All Evil: Unjust Disparities of Wealth” in Jokkoo, Technical Co-operation Magazine of the United Nations System in The Gambia, Vol. 2 No. 2 – 1992. United Nations Development Programme: Banjul 1992.
- “Regionalisation Policy of the Ministry to the Uprooted. Genesis and Progress”. All African Conference of Churches: Nairobi 1998.
- “Holiness”. Series of Meditations presented to the clergy of the Diocese of Harare at Retreat – Harare: January 1999.